Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Macleay Island LGBB Dinners - Beef Short Back Ribs

A few friends who moved to the islands last year, 6 of us, have been getting together for dinners on the weekends. It started at our house last winter when I made Steamboat and we had 8 for dinner.

We then ate at local restaurants and cafes, after we'd eaten through all the menus we decided we needed some variety and fun. So every weekend we all rotate through the 3 homes and make a dish each to contribute. Whoever hosts the dinner makes the main dish and the other two couples make either a dessert of vegetable or entree dish. It has been the best thing we did. The friendship, fun and laughter is awesome,which we can have at home and not disturb the other patrons and we can stay as long as we like and have the food ready to eat by 6pm and not 8pm like at some of the eating places, or some just shut at 7pm. I hope I remember to take pictures, I have forgotten so far.

Beef short back ribs, with sesame coleslaw and mashed potatoes, recipes all below


This beautiful Beef ribs were originally made at our friend's house during our LGBB Dinners

Recipe from El Matador with slight variations from me.

Beef short back ribs cooked in a little amount of water covered in foil in the oven (1.5hours, add more water if needed), or I did mine in the slow cooker on high. Added 1 tsp peppercorns, 2 bay leaves, 1 onion quartered, 4 whole garlic. 

I turned the ribs over after 1.5hrs and cooked another 1.5 hours or until the meat is tender but not falling off the bones.

Seasoned with salt and pepper to taste.

Fire up the wood fire or bbq and cook until its golden brown and crispy on all sides, about 10 mins, .

Soooo yummy.

Sesame Coleslaw was first introduced to me by a new islander resident

I always make a whole bottle, the recipe doesnt give me enough as I make a whole bucket full of coleslaw, I use all of the above quantities and add the rest by looking at it, probably 4 tbsp sweet chilli sauce and 3 tbsp sesame oil or to taste. below is what the colour looks like




½ small (300g) wombok (Chinese cabbage), shredded
½ small (500g) red cabbage, shredded
1 carrot, peeled, cut into matchsticks
2 green onions, thinly sliced diagonally
1 cup beansprouts, trimmed
1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
1/3 cup fresh coriander leaves
6 mint leaves
¼ cup natural yoghurt
2 tbsp whole-egg mayonnaise
1 tbsp Trident sweet chilli sauce
1 tsp lime juice

Place wombok, cabbage, carrot, onion, beansprouts, sesame seeds and coriander in a bowl.

Mix together yoghurt, mayonnaise, sweet chilli sauce and lime juice in a bowl. Pour over cabbage mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Serve.



1 comment:

  1. You make me feel hungry even though I have just finished lunch

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I thoroughly enjoy reading your comments. Please visit again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...