Pages

Sunday, August 01, 2021

Chiffon (Angel) Cakes - In My Kitchen

 So a friend kindly let me taste her Chiffon cake along time ago (probably in the last year). I fell in love with this very rare cake, rare because you can't buy it in shops, at least not in Brisbane and no one I know makes it.  It uses a heck of a lot of eggs, one recipe says 6 and another recipe says 10. 

So as you can see from this photo I would have used up 30 eggs for these three flops lol. I can't remember what I did wrong, so I can't tell you what not to do.

I was told to up end the cake tin like this so the cake would stay up and not collapse like a souffle, well we know what happened to that instruction. Still something I did wrong for this to happen.

Almost perfect, as you can see the left side of the pan has cooked cake on it, I went to put the pan in the oven and swiped it over the back of the chair and almost lost the whole pan of cake hahaha. Success because the cake didn't crack on top.

Like this one below, I think this one is too many eggs, a large egg isnt 90grams as I have found out its 55g, so if you weigh 6 x 55g eggs that how much you should use

The almost perfect slice, light and fluffy and hardly any holes. I am aiming for no holes. I think the holes are because there is still air inside and wasn't combined well enough.

After a few successes another flop, not sure what happened here either lol.

Iced the almost perfect cake


The outside should be smooth, don't look at the right side where I ripped off a chunk lol

Sometimes the top cracks like this, again I think its too many eggs, some of the eggs I used had two yolks and that could be the reason, too much yellow.

As you can see this cake was very small and hardly came up the sides.

The next few look like too little egg and too little mixing.


This one is good, this is the cake upside down so I could ice it.

The hat moved lol. Again too much egg made too much mix

This is the perfect amount for a cake


So here is the recipe

Here are other recipes:

10 comments:

  1. Hmmm, don't know that I would have persisted through that many oops... must say it looks lovely though, Bridget.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I do know about myself is that I never give up

      Delete
  2. i have never seen a 90 gram egg! the biggest i've seen is 66 i think! was it a duck egg or a goose egg? :-) such a shame about your cakes. i really hate it when things flop! good on you for persevering.
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing experiment. I enjoyed the connection between the opening quotation and the episodes of cake making, though I would never have gone past 3 flops myself.
    As I own an assortment of chooks, I appreciate the importance of weighing eggs. Listing eggs by number in a recipe that is so reliant on eggs is misleading. My eggs range in size from 43 grams, (bantom eggs) to 78 grams for old layer, sometimes larger.
    A great read, thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha I didn't even realise that I had the quote in the header but yes it is very appropriate in this post

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good chiffon cake is hard to make. I think it's refreshing to share flops on one's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your efforts look incredibly patient and persistent. Good luck with perfecting this cake. It’s very popular here in the US.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. in my opinion, there are never failures if you turn the flops into rusks (hard biscuits like biscotti). I use an egg white only recipe for my angel food cake which so far has worked every time https://tandysinclair.com/blueberry-angel-food-cake/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on that beautiful chiffon cake! However, I would also like to congratulate all the "flops" just for existing. We have too much perfectionism in society, and I'm sure the flops were just as yummy and lovable too :) thanks for sharing. I've never made a chiffon cake since I don't have the right kind of pan, but one day I will get into it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bridget, I've never made a chiffon cake, I don't have the right tin, but well done for persevering. My hubby would have been in cake Heaven, as he loves the flops, they always taste great anyway. I think sometimes the weather plays a big part in the success of these fiddly cakes. So what do you reckon clinched it in the end for you to make the perfect cake? We all have failures that's for sure. It's nice to know another Queensland blogger, and I wish I could attend one of your craft lessons. Take care, Pauline

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I thoroughly enjoy reading your comments. Please visit again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...