Pages

Sunday, May 01, 2022

Pineapple, Papaya, Ginger Jam

I thought I'd try making pineapple papaya jam. I had a recipe from a Pacific Island friend who had made it and it tasted really good. Of course I added other stuff that I had just bought off a friend from the island - ginger and lemons. Sadly the 9 pineapples I bought had rot in them so I only ended up with about 1 pineapple worth. 
Luckily I had two bottles of pineapple soaking in coconut juice and boy was it smelling nice, I love coconut and the smell. 
I think they are Meyer lemons, they are huge and organic

This is the spoilt pineapple that I had to throw in the compost, so not thrilled, never trust a sale
A friend gave me some mulberries that I had frozen so I cooked them up with some blueberries I found as well. they look good, hope they taste good too

Pineapple Pawpaw Ginger Jam

1 large pineapple
1 large papaya

8 cups raw or white sugar (I only used 1 cup as it was sweet enough)
juice of 1 large lemon
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground clove
2 - 3 tsp grated Ginger

45 - 50 minutes simmer all of the above in a pot until the right consistency of thickness. 
Skim froth off the top if there is any.

Put into sterilised bottles. 
I place my bottles upside down to start with so the hot jam can sterilise the lid as well


 

7 comments:

  1. Looks like a delicious jam!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. so you used one cup of sugar instead of 8? and the jam set okay? that is such a big difference. tho i do agree with not using too much sugar :) Oh yes this is just a very very gentle reminder that the IMK link is about a monthly roundup of your kitchen. so a recipe is okay but we do like to see what has been happening in your kitchen over the last month. so we would love to have you do a regular monthly roundup next month. cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Sherry, thanks for your input. I had no idea your meme was a round up of the whole month. I put up my posts when and where I can before I lose the photos. I work full time, so putting up a whole month of my cooking or in my kitchen at once would be a huge ask.

      Delete
  3. AnonymousMay 03, 2022

    I love all your jars of jam all lined up on your counter. Your pineapple jam sounds wonderful but too bad about the pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would eat that on toast for breakfast. Lovely flavor combos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully the compost gets the best out of that spoilt pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good! It's so sad that you had to compost the other pineapples, what a disappointment, but I'm glad you composted them and gave them back to the earth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I thoroughly enjoy reading your comments. Please visit again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...