Pages

Saturday, September 11, 2021

20th Anniversary of 9/11 and a new found friend

Today is the 20th anniversary of 9/11. Where were you that day and do you remember what you were doing?

I clearly remember what I was doing. We had moved to Adelaide, South Australia and had been to a meeting. I was already asleep. A friend from South Africa who was living in Sydney (Celeste Hendricks) called and Michael answered the phone, to let us know that planes had flown into the Twin Towers.

Michael woke me up and I remember the time well, it was 1am. I wasn't working at the time. Michael had to go to bed to get up for work, I stayed up and was glued to the tv in shock, I didn't sleep for 2 days. Just watching and being in shock and scared because Michael is American and we were scared that we would be targeted as we are allies with the US.

So this is about the people of Gander who opened their homes and hearts to the 38 planes that were forced to land there on this day. Some good stories have come out of this tragedy and this story is about Nick and Diane strangers who met on the flight.

NBC - Ganders enduring bond with US over 9/11

Sydney Morning Herald

Capital of Kindness

I was stranded in Newfoundland

How Gander provided sanctuary on 9/11

Why am I telling you all of the above? Well there is a link to Newfoundland. A few weeks ago I saw a news article on Facebook about an iceberg that was taken in 2017 by Doreen Dalley. Its an incredible photo and I post it here with her permission. 


Doreen lives in a town called Twillingate which is smaller in population than the island I live on. I met my own truly wonderful person from the famous Newfoundland. If they are as generous as she is as the news articles say then I have met all those wonderful generous souls on 9/11.

I looked her up on facebook and sent her a message about how gorgeous her photo was and what a wonderful legacy she has left us with her gorgeous photos and that she should make them into postcards.

I then explained about POSTCROSSING and how we sent each other postcards from across the world. To my surprise she said she would send me the photos so I could print them to send around the world. That to me is true generosity and trust from a stranger she just met in writing far across the world. 

I hope one day I get to travel to Newfoundland and meet Doreen and all these wonderful people who gave their all on this tragic day that brought the worst and best out of humanity.

Thank you Newfoundland and Gander and all that helped and gave so generously.


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful tribute Bridget - I got up and was first out to turn on the radio, and I remember going back to the bathroom and calling the news through the door to DH... the TV then went on, and like you I watched for most of that day.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I thoroughly enjoy reading your comments. Please visit again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...