Pages

Friday, January 14, 2022

My first bake in the new oven

Hubby told my brothers that I would not use the new oven because that's what I've done in the past and never used anything new he bought me....well SURPRISE I wasted no time and as soon as the gas fitter came on Monday to install the final part to my oven I was in there baking at 5.30am.

My favourite and famous Chiffon Cake, recipe from my very good friend Josephine has been a no fail one (all the fails have been my fault because I have seen and eaten her cakes).

You can see my FAILED cakes here which was not so long ago (4 months ago). Those failed cakes were cooked in an electric oven. I love this recipe because it doesn't use butte, I always forget to bring the butter out of the fridge to come to room temperature. 

I say nothing cooks better than a gas oven as you can see from below. Now I had abit of a disaster, you can see on the left cake the indentation of my hand. As soon as I removed the cake pan and tried to invert it, the pan fell on my arm and gave me 2nd degree burns.

I used the fan force and baked for 45mins on 160C then turned the oven up to 180C and cooked a further 10 mins PERFECT, no cracks.






As you can see this cake had holes in it, in THIS recipe it says to use a knife and cut through the batter to remove air pockets (I didnt do that) I also forgot the cream of tartar and the vanilla (doesn't say int he recipe but I always put it in as it smells good) lol.

This RECIPE explains alot about the dos and don't which should be adhered to for a successful bake

 I also didn't put a glaze on it but this glaze looks good:

Orange Glaze
1/2 cup butter
2 cups icing sugar
2 - 4 tbsp fresh orange juice
1/2 tsp grated orange zest


I also made my favourite Portugese Egg Tarts. I had ordered these tart cases and they arrived so I put them to good use and made my first batch. Ooh so yummy straight out of the oven.


I had started to make the puff pastry from scratch but the recipe was incomplete so I got the puff pastry out of the freezer and used that instead. I will have to find a better pastry recipe and will attempt it again. I'll also be tweaking the recipe so that the custard doesnt start to set while I am making the molds.


UPDATED 24TH JAN: Doctor is very pleased with my burn after 2 weeks, it has healed and is ready to be aired to have skin grow over.


6 comments:

  1. Oh, Bridget, so sorry about your arm. Hope it heals ok. But thanks for sharing your cooking adventures about the new oven. I loved reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that burn heals quickly. The cake looks delicious, however I now want to try those egg tarts - they look like mini-custard tarts (of the British variety).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you arm in healing well - do you have any aloe vera to put on it??
    Your baking looks amazing!!
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh dear your poor arm! burns are so painful. Your chiffon cakes and egg tarts look very delicious. thanks for joining in IMK this month. keep well
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. That burn looks nasty! I love making puff pastry from scratch and want to attempt a sourdough one this year. I have only once baked in a gas oven, with little success, so have stuck to an electric one since then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awful that you got a burn from the cake :( :( glad it's healing well. That chiffon cake looks incredible, thanks for sharing your tips. I do love Portuguese tarts too but how does one eat them all?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I thoroughly enjoy reading your comments. Please visit again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...