Pages

Friday, May 22, 2020

Green Tomato Pickle

Last weekend my local vegetable shop Willow and Oak had some green tomatoes for sale, I was over the moon. I have not been able to find green tomato for 10 years since I got the recipe and made it. It is one of the best pickle recipes I have ever tasted.

Hence me trying to plant a lot of tomato trees this year. I bought the whole box which came to around 5 kgs. Which was 2 lots of the recipe. That was a lot of cutting up, thank goodness hubby helped me.


 I turn them upside down to sterilize the lid

Here is the recipe:

Green Tomato Pickles 

6lb (2.7kg) green tomatoes
2lb (900G) onions
2lb (900G) white sugar
2 pint (900ml) white vinegar
1 tbsp turmeric
1 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp curry or less ( I use 1/2 that)
1 tbsp salt
4 tbsp plain flour
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp ground all spice

Cut up onions and tomatoes. Sprinkle over the salt. Leave OVERNIGHT covered in fridge.

Next day drain well.

Add sugar, ¾ vinegar and bring to boil. Simmer for 2 hours. Add spices cook further ¼ hour. Mix flour with rem. vinegar. Stir until thickened.

Pour into very clean glass jars and seal

1 comment:

  1. My Mum used to make green tomato relish and green tomato jam, neither of which I liked! I think it was the thought of the green tomatoes!
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I thoroughly enjoy reading your comments. Please visit again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...