Pages

Monday, May 25, 2020

Tea for Tuesday - Pineapple Pie

There is a wonderful lady on the island Lusi who makes these wonderful island desserts. She made me one on the weekend called Pineapple Pie. I used to eat it in Fiji. Here is the recipe if you'd like to try it out. Here is the video.


I'm going to link up tomorrow with T for Tuesday, Bluebeard and Elizabeth she will be so surprised because the last time I linked up was May 2019 a loong time ago.

So abit of light reading about tea for you below:

I saw this on facebook under GREAT BRITISH TREA PARTY and loved it, especially the part about giving up sugar and the reasons, it made me think about how lucky we are to have so much at our finger tips and #Covid-19 has come to take us back to those days that our ancestors had to live on so little-we are definitely spoilt.

Mary Berry on Tea, pictured at home in Buckinghamshire - English food writer and television presenter.
"My mother was fussy about making tea. When we had guests, she would have two pots of leaf tea – one of Earl Grey and one Indian. If it was just family, it was a blend of Indian tea with a pinch of Earl Grey, which was dearer but we loved the flavour, so only a pinch. I like the idea of being quintessentially British and only drink tea in the afternoon. I have a cup of hot water when I wake up. Then I have coffee. In the afternoon I like weak Earl Grey with milk but no sugar – perfect. I find Earl Grey fresher than Indian tea. Just one cup is enough; I like it as a treat. It’s how I was brought up – nothing in excess, everything should be treated as something special."
Whenever my husband serves me tea or coffee he asks “Sugar?”, knowing full well that for the 50 years we’ve known each other I’ve answered “No thank you”. That’s because during the war my mother said: “If you give up sugar in tea and coffee, I’ll be able to make the odd cake, stale bread and margarine pudding, or rhubarb and crumble.”
Image may contain: 1 person, table, indoor and food

16 comments:

  1. Glad you will be joining us for T this week. And I love the Mary Berry story. I love the Great British Baking show-old and new. And this pie sounds yummy. I have never heard of pineapple pie but I bet it is a great tropical tasting treat. Hope you have a good (early) T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you at the T-Party! And you are contributing with such a wonderful pie! Yummy, that looks good. Unfortunately the link to the video didn't work for me, so I can't make it just yet.
    I'm glad Mary Berry is finally (in her old age) getting international recognition. She has been my hero(ine) for many years now and her recipes always work. The large solid fuel cooker behind her on the photos is called an AGA. It is quite an art to cook on those and Mary has written books about AGA cooking and does courses.
    PS Remember you asked to see more of our vegetable garden? I hope you saw my post about the vegetable garden last week.
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely post Bridget - I don't bother baking for 'just me' now, and the family have allergies, so I can't just throw something together for them either... but that pie sounds delicious!! Love your wee story about tea. I am not really a tea drinker - I like herbal teas, but strongly dislike Earl Grey - it's like drinking perfume ;)
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of your pie, sounds delicious, I haven't managed to get SR flour or baking powder so still no baking but that should help with the diet!
    I love black breakfast tea with milk, no sugar, I always make it in a teapot too.
    I really like Mary Berry and have still got a German Apple cake recipe from a magazine from when my boys were small and I still make it sometimes.
    Have a Happy T Day
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see you joining us at TSFT today. Happy T day and have a good week, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dessert looks delicious, and I loved the tea story. My Mom would tell us stories about all the rationing during world war 2 I never use sugar or a sweetener in my tea or coffee either-mostly because I like it without.
    Happy T wishes Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous post and your pineapple cake looks so delicious, I might need to give the recipe a try 😉. Thanks for sharing! The Great British Bake off is one of my favourite shows too. Take care and Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pineapple pie looks good. I've never had anything like that. My Mother didn't have sugar in coffee for that very reason. Sugar rationing made it just not worth it. Cake was more important :) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bridget! It's so nice to see you at T again. The pineapple pie looks yummy.

    Happy T-Day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was SO happy to see you at T this Tuesday, Bridget. It was a joy indeed. Loved seeing the pineapple pie and tea (or is that coffee?).

    I loved the story you shared about Mary Berry. I gave up sugar a few years ago, but not because it was rationed. I certainly enjoyed the reasoning, though. Thanks for sharing the tea story and your pineapple pie and drink with us for T this Tuesday. It's nearly Wed. in your world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved reading that little blurb from Mary Berry. We have been watching the great British Baking show and now I want to get her cookbooks to browse. Your pineapple pie looks delicious.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good point about how many sacrifices people had to make in the past, to give some perspective to the current covid-19 situation. I've seen some news reports saying the prices for some food items will skyrocket, so I'm going to have to do without them altogether, because I won't be able to afford them. Happy belated T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pineapple pie looks so good. I enjoy Mary Berry and The Great British Baking Show. It was fun to read her thoughts on tea. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello nice to meet you. The cake you shared looks delicious, The Bake off is a favourite cookery show of mine as well.
    Have good weekend.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there Bridget! I like the look of pineapple pie! I'm sure it would be just as good with coffee!
    I am going to bake later today! No pineapple though! Belated T Day Wishes! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello I´m glad to meet you here. well, this pineapplemay have been delicious, nice cup.have a great week
    Big hugs,
    Caty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I thoroughly enjoy reading your comments. Please visit again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...