Pages

Saturday, April 04, 2020

Homesteading and Chicken Poop...what to do?

So after a rest from raising ducks, lots of ducks and finding it was too expensive, $50 a week of feed was too much especially as the ducks weren't giving me much eggs, was cheaper for me to go and buy eggs hahahaha however those eggs were really nice.

Anyway we gave the ducks away to friends and family so they have gone to a good home.

I want to get chickens this time, they are more economical and give more eggs like 300 per hen.

On visiting the chicken run I discovered a pumpkin plant growing in it as well as a paw paw tree hahaha, I must have fed the ducks with those and now they are really thriving in the best soil we have on our property.

So for those of you who like me need some help with raising chickens The Prairie Homestead is one of my favourite blogs to follow, this link is about raising laying hens.

This next link shows how to make your own chicken feed, and lots more other great information in there. I am looking at the picture of the ingredients and thinking to myself "that makes a good dahl soup" hahahah Nils will be proud of me.
Ok seriously its easier and convenient for me to go to the Pet shop and get a bag of feed and I'll keep all those lentils to make hearty soup now that winter is coming along.

Gardening and how to start your vegetable garden 

Here's a wonderful candied walnut, apple and cranberry salad

 A month ago we went to a friends house to get some chicken poo, I haven't look at my garden for a month, you can imagine my surprise when I went for a squiz the other day only to find the chicken poo in the white foam boxes had sprouted beautiful tomato plants. Three healthy plants in the box above and off course some weeds lol.

One healthy plant below. So today I will be going out and replanting them so I can take the foam boxes to get more poo to use. I'm going to dump the poop and plants in the garden and stake them.

In the raised bed to the right I have a fruit tree growing, I have no idea what it is, if anyone can recognise the leaf I would love to find out what I planted 3 years ago LOL
 The raised bed behind the box has a lime tre (I think) and some garlic chives. The reason i dont  know what trees I have is because three years ago I planted trees and they all died. We then let a chicken roam around in there and she must have pooped at all the roots so all these trees have suddenly come alive. So lesson is dont despair or discard dead trees, they will come alive thanks to chicken poop.

It even grew in the bag we had poo in, check out the healthy mint behind the bag

More photos to come in next post, my garden has expanded





1 comment:

  1. Yes, chicken poop is great - I rely on worm pee, they don't take as much care and also are very quiet! My garden got well mulched with leaves last autumn and has been prolific this summer - will have to repeat that! Enjoy fining out what you trees are Bridget.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I thoroughly enjoy reading your comments. Please visit again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...